Hmmm, it seems Etihad is now playing follow the leader. Last year Emirates announced Per Per Entry into their First & Business Lounges and now Etihad is following along.
The move doesn’t see First lounge access being able to be bought (which is a good move), but I would say the lounges will really start to reach capacity now.
Obviously, If you have status, are in a Premium cabin or using the Meet and Greet service this won’t apply to you.
Here are the lounges where you can pay to enter:
- Etihad Business Class Lounge Abu Dhabi Terminal 1
- Etihad Business Class Lounge Abu Dhabi Terminal 3
- Etihad First & Business Class Lounge London Heathrow
- Etihad First & Business Class Lounge Manchester
- Etihad Business Class Lounge Dublin
- Etihad First & Business Class Lounge Paris
- Etihad First & Business Class Lounge Washington Dulles
- Etihad First & Business Class Lounge New York JFK
- Etihad First & Business Class Lounge Melbourne
- Etihad First & Business Class Lounge Sydney
Now obviously, there is a few terms and conditions, and here they are:
- Access must be paid for by credit card
- Children are charged 50% of the Adult rate
- Spa and Shave treatments are NOT included
- Access is based on space and cannot be purchased in advance
The price is determined by airport, I was told that the average price for access is $60USD.
Do I agree with the move?
In my opinion It kind of ruins the purpose of the lounge which is to be ‘Exclusive’ as this now means the lounges will fill up a whole lot more. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but that’s what I think. I love if a lounge is quiet, there’s sufficient food and the wifi is fast, I think this will no longer be too common with max capacity.
The airline is obviously doing this to make more revenue, It’s no secret the airlines in the Middle East are all in financial trouble and it’s not what it was like 10 years ago. We’ve seen things like airlines cutting brands of waters to airlines giving the same pyjamas to both Business and First.
Times are tough in the Middle East…