Both Virgin Australia and London based carrier, Virgin Atlantic have today signed a new partnership which will enable passengers to easily and effortlessly travel from Australia to the United Kingdom or vice versa.
Basically the airlines have signed a codeshare agreement and what this does is basically make the travel more streamlined. In this case, if you’re flying from Australia to the United Kingdom, you can fly Virgin Australia to Hong Kong (or Los Angeles) and then easily connect onto a Virgin Atlantic flight onto London.
Here are the full list of benefits of the new codeshare partnership, courtesy of Virgin Australia,
- enabling guests to travel between Australia and London on Virgin flights, connecting through Los Angeles or Hong Kong;
- providing guests travelling from the UK with options for convenient connections to eight cities on Virgin Australia’s domestic network; Adelaide, Brisbane, Cairns, Canberra, Gold Coast, Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney;
- expanding the customer offering to include new connections on Virgin Australia’s domestic network, being Adelaide-Sydney, Adelaide-Melbourne and Canberra- Melbourne;
- allowing guests to organise all flights, including the connecting flights, under the one booking, with a single check-in and baggage drop;
- allowing Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members to earn miles, and Virgin Australia’s Velocity Frequent Flyer members to earn Points and Status Credits when flying with either airline under the codeshare; and
- providing eligible members of the Frequent Flyer Program with full access to Virgin Australia Lounges and Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses.
This new partnership comes at a great time as next month, Virgin will commence their new Sydney – Hong Kong service which I’m sure will be a very popular flight which will fill very will. That flight will start off on June 2nd.
Overall I think this is a great agreement and will benefit passengers greatly who travel VA and their partners but also passengers who frequent the U.K.
What are your thoughts on the new codeshare agreement?