Here Is The Shortlist Of 20 Names For Qantas’ First 787

by Zac George

A few weeks ago, I wrote about helping Qantas name their first 787 aircraft. The airline is set to take delivery of their first 787-9 aircraft in October. The airline is obviously very excited about receiving it and a lot of passengers are also excited. When Qantas first launched the promotion to name the first aircraft, there were quite a lot of interesting names, some were also just plain crazy.

Qantas today posted a photo of the shortlist for 20 names. You’re now able to choose your favourite 8 names.

I think these names are pretty standard and personally would have liked ‘Planey McPlaneface’ make this list….

What name would you choose for Qantas’ 787?

You may also like

7 comments

Dan @ Points With a Crew June 1, 2017 - 8:02 pm

Glad to see I’m not the only one whose immediate first thought was “Planey McPlaneface”. I guess companies have (finally) learned that perhaps open name submissions are not the way to go 🙂

James June 1, 2017 - 8:36 pm

What would happen if vegemite won? Its a brand. Qantas needs permission from the owner of the brand to use it. Suppose it was given. Few years later the company acquired by another company or there’s change in the majority shares or change of management or policy and they decided to cancel the permission. What then?

Keith June 2, 2017 - 8:31 am

They left out the most iconic Aussie name of all Paul Hogan!

Darius June 2, 2017 - 10:36 am

Wow, those certainly reflect a disappointingly outdated view of Australia. Surprised bloody meat pies and Holden cars aren’t up there.

phoenix June 2, 2017 - 1:00 pm

“Vegemite”? “Skippy”? “Waltzing Matilda”? Egads…

“Quokka” and “Kookaburra” I like though.

KEITH June 3, 2017 - 8:59 am

and reminded me of “wallaby” as I saw a woman with a not long born one in a local shopping centre yesterday!.

Geoff Herbert June 4, 2017 - 6:58 am