If you’re travelling to North Queensland in the next few days, this information is for you. If you have been watching the news the last few days you would have seen that North Queensland will be getting hit by a cyclone. The cyclone is set to hit the coast at 7-8 am tomorrow morning and it will be a category 4.
If you have flights to or from North Queensland here is what Qantas and Virgin Australia will do for you:
- All flights to or from Cairns (CNS), Townsville (TSV), Mackay (MKY), Proserpine (PPP), Hamilton Island (HTI) and Moranbah (MOV) can be cancelled and put into a credit for free and can be kept for 12 months.
- Any changes or cancellations will be waived.
- If you’re a no show you’ll still receive a travel credit which is valid for 12 months.
- There isn’t info available about awards but I’d say they will be fully refunded if you want to cancel.
- All flights to or from Hamilton Island, Townsville, Proserpine or Mackay can rebook, reroute travel and it will be waived
- You can change your destination for free
- If you cancel your booking will be put into a credit which is valid for 12 months
- All award bookings are subject to the same conditions above.
The call centers for both airlines will be incredibly busy and there’s no real way to avoid it. Unlike U.S. airlines, our airlines can’t make changes to bookings etc. If you have an urgent matter then I’d ring as soon as possible but if not, I’d recommend waiting.
For everyone in North Queensland, stay safe and keep indoors.