Virgin Austalia has recently announced a new fare brand that will be exclusively for their long-haul routes. The airline has not only done this to add greater options for passengers, but it’s also a way that they can better match their parter Delta who offers the same thing very much in terms of fares.
As you might have guessed from the title, the new fare, of course, is a restricted one which in return is cheaper in value. The new fare is very restricted and for reference. I’ve listed all of the information of what you both can and can’t do with the new fare class.
These new fares are only available on the flights to and from Los Angeles as well as Hong Kong and their upcoming Tokyo service which will commence on the 29th of March.
What are the main things to know when booking Economy Light fares?
- You can only make your seat assignment during the check-in window
What do you actually get with the new Economy Light fare?
- You’re given one 23kg of checked baggage
- You’re also given a carry on allowance of 1 bag that weighs up to 7kgs
What do these new Economy Light fares earn?
- On flights to Japan and Hong Kong, you’ll earn 20 status credits, and for the services to Los Angeles, you’ll earn 30 status credits
- If you happen to fly Economy Light before the 23rd of April, you’ll earn 0.5 Velocity points per mile, but after the 23rd, you’ll only earn 0.25 points per miles
All of the other Virgin Australia economy fares are given 2x 23kg bags, however, as this is the cheapest fare, you’ll only be given one free checked bag.
If you’re a silver, gold or platinum member, you’ll be able to have your complimentary baggage allowance; luckily this isn’t being excluded in the new fares.
I think the introduction of these fares is beneficial for everyone. When you travel, you’ll always come across people who are after different things, and not everyone wants to pay to things they may not deem necessary, and this gives them a better option with a slightly smaller price tag.
Obviously, these fares are definitely not going to be for everyone but for those who are set on travelling on a certain day and have no need to change or alter dates; this fare is the perfect fit.